Good Afternoon and Happy “Hump Day,” everyone!
Today’s post is coming at you all a little later on in the day than usual- but with a Patriot’s Parade, work and friends visiting from California- the past couple of days have been a little crazy!
I’m still riding the post-Super Bowl celebration high right now- which is why I’m sharing a dish that I particularly love to make during football season- but can also really be prepared and served any time of year! Pizza dishes are appropriate year-round- on any day, occasion, party, etc.
This cheese-stuffed pizza dough takes just over an our to prepare, cook and serve- and about two minutes to eat (or one minute, if you’re like me…)
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- 1 pound pizza dough
- 1 large egg
- 12 ounces finely diced fresh mozzarella
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup sun-dried tomato pesto (store-bought or homemade)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- ⅓ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese Fresh basil, for serving
READY? HERE’S WHAT YOU DO:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a 4-by-14-inch rectangle. Cut the dough in half lengthwise. In a small bowl, whisk the egg with 1 tablespoon water until combined.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella down the length of one piece of the dough in an even layer. Sprinkle the oregano and pepper evenly over the cheese. Use a pastry brush to brush the egg wash around the perimeter of the other piece of dough. Stack the pieces of dough, pressing firmly around the edges to seal and encase the cheese.
- Use a spoon to spread a line of pesto, about 1 inch thick, all the way down the length of the dough.
- Gently pick up the dough and twist down the length of it so that the pesto looks swirled. Transfer the dough to the baking sheet and coil it into a tight spiral.
- Brush the dough with the olive oil, cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan onto the dough and then bake until very golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. 8. Serve immediately, garnished with basil.
Amid the nachos, French fries, chicken wings, chips & dip, sliders and beer- this “Pizza Bread” was definitely a hit and went pretty fast! I also made sure to serve it alongside small bowls of marinara sauce and ranch dressing- since those are the mandatory Super Bowl side-sauces, after all!
And, of course- no Super Bowl party is complete without properly representing your team. Luckily, I had plenty of Patriots plates/cups on standby for the occasion! There’s still some left over, too- so maybe I can break it out again for next year’s Super Bowl!
A girl can hope, right?
Anyway, I have to get back to work- but here’s wishing you all a wonderful rest of your Wednesday!
– Ashley –