Good Morning, Happy Monday- and Happy Labor Day, everyone! This post was drafted right before I left for a long weekend away in the middle of the mountains in Vermont with my best friend. I’m heading home later on today- and I’ll be sure to have plenty of photos from my trip to share this week once I’m back in my home office (where I have a more stable WiFi connection than out here in the woods!)
This coming Thursday is the kickoff to the New England Patriots’ regular season- and to celebrate- we’re having a tailgating party at work (I swear, we do actually work now and then) where everyone has been encouraged to bring their favorite game day food. Although my go-to recipe to satisfy a fairly large group of people has always typically been a big plate of nachos- this time around I wanted to try something a little different- and I came across this 20-minute recipe for mess-free quesadillas that looked delicious.
I did a trial run a few days ago to see if it was something I could pull off in the early morning hours before my commute so they would stay fresh and warm by the time our party started- and I’m pretty excited to share these with everyone at the office- because they turned out awesome!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature, divided
- 12 tortillas or wraps
- ½ cup salsa
- 12 ounces shredded cheddar or Jack cheese
- Shredded and cooked chicken or beef (depending on your preference! You can also go meat-free and stick to just the cheeses and salsa.)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons sliced green onions
- Sour cream, as needed for serving
- Salsa, as needed for serving
READY? HERE’S WHAT YOU DO:
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Grease a baking sheet with 2 tablespoons of the butter.
- Arrange half of the tortillas in the prepared pan, overlapping them as needed to fully cover the base.
- Spread the salsa in an even layer on top of the tortillas. Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the salsa and add your cooked and shredded chicken or beef.
- Arrange the remaining tortillas on top of the cheese, salsa & meat- overlapping as needed to fully cover the pan. Spread the remaining 2 tablespoons butter evenly over the tortillas.
- Bake until the tortillas are golden and the cheese is fully melted, 9 to 12 minutes. Garnish with the cilantro and green onions.
- Serve immediately, warm, with sour cream and salsa on the side.
I’m not even going to lie- I ate enough of these to the point where I felt like I couldn’t move- that’s how good they tasted. Fantastic flavor aside, I couldn’t get over how quick, easy, and painless these were to make- and I think I’ve found my new favorite party recipe for this coming football season!
Enjoy your Monday, y’all! (And Go Pats!)
– Ashley –